OkMap forum
OkMap forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 OkMap Forum - English
 New features
 enhanced routing utility

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert image on imageshack.us
 Insert small zipped file as attachment (< 500 Kb)

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
VVouter Posted - 01/07/2014 : 21:51:20
Hello,

I am using OkMap for planning a bike holiday. I try to draw a track on a topographic map in order to obtain an elevation profile. I might also transfer the track into my gps. Initially, I manually put closely spaced track points to follow the winding roads as good as possible. Then I discovered the routing utility that works very well and that already saves me a lot of time. It is mainly the fact that it makes the track follow closely the contours of the road that helps me. Not so much the automatic search of the shortest or fastest route because I know already which roads I want to take. So for me, it's more like a drawing aid.

However, the routing function in OkMap can only route from A to B and not along intermediate locations. I solved this by performing piecewise routing along my preferred roads. I use the "Add to JOIN" function to combine the obtained tracks and subsequently the "Merge" function to obtain one continuous track. This works well but becomes cumbersome for a long bicycle trip with many pieces that form the full track. It is also difficult if I want to modify the track. Therefore I have the folowing proposal:

Why not include the option to automatically route an existing track (or route)? So you can create a track existing of a few points at locations that you want to pass. Then, with a context menu (e.g. "Refine track"), give the option to automatically route between track point 1 and 2, then between point 2 and 3 and so on until the full track is done. If you would like to make a modification to the obtained track, it would then be sufficient to move one of the original track point and redo the process. What do you think?

I have also a few problems with the existing routing funtion. I use the context menu to select the start and end locations and the "calculate" function. However, this does not work if the start and end points are on different maps. It seems that for every map a seperate set of sart/end locations are stored. Also, I do not manage to get the routing tool from the utilities menu working. When I copy paste start and end locations in the window fields it does calculate a track but when I want to save the track I get the error "Required field is empty" even when I give a track name.

I use version 10.12.0

Thanks,

Wouter
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
okmap Posted - 13/07/2014 : 09:59:29
I must study the behavior of nominatim in this cases.
VVouter Posted - 12/07/2014 : 21:37:25
Hello,

Nice to read that you keep improving OkMap :-)

There will be a small issue when adding intermediate points for the routing function: If you start from a user defined track, it might happen that only a part is routable. I have experienced that not all roads are covered by the routing service. In that case it would be nice if the function is not aborted but the track is still partially routed automatically. Afterwards, the route can then be finished by adding extra track points manually where needed.

I assumed here that both the input and the output of the improved routing function are tracks.

Regards,

Wouter
okmap Posted - 05/07/2014 : 08:49:57
ok, now I've understood.
I'll fix it in the next version of the software.
If it's possible easily I'll add the features to set intermediate points.
Thanks for reporting.
VVouter Posted - 04/07/2014 : 22:42:00
Hello,

Thanks for helping.

I understand that the nomatim service only provide routing from A to B. But you could let OkMap call the nomatim service multiple times. And then let OkMap join and merge the multiple routing solutions. So a kind of macro function to automate the process?

I have documented the problem I have with the Utilities - Routing function. When I use the "Sel. coordinates" button, then "Sel. waypoint" button it calculates the track but I cannot save it.

However, when I type something in the "start" and "end" fields but then overide the coordinates by selecting my waypoints it does work.

I have added 2 screenshots as reference.

Best regards,

Wouter

Allegato : OkMap_routing_utility_error.zip#9;266,76 KB
okmap Posted - 02/07/2014 : 10:34:03
Hi Wouter,
routing feature is based on a web service called nominatim (OpenStreetMap), and it's limited, so I cannot do many other things.
For now you can bypass the issue of start and end points on different maps using Routing function of Utilities menu.
Save the start and end location as waypoints and then open Utilities - Routing function.
Use "Sel. coordinates" button to get start and end coordinates from waypoints.
Before pressing "Save track" button, digit the name of the track in the field on the right.

OkMap forum © 2018 OkMap Go To Top Of Page